Michigan in the winter may be beautiful, but for many people – especially older adults – doesn’t lend itself to outdoor activities. The snow and winter winds are best enjoyed behind the window of your warm, cozy space in your Baldwin House apartment.
It’s no wonder that so many individuals – old and young alike – get blue in the winter. Snowfall, gray skies and sun that might shine but doesn’t bring any warmth and you have a recipe for the winter blues.
At Baldwin House Senior Living we understand the importance of planning activities, serving delicious meals and fostering friendships. These become even more important during winter when we still have a few months before the leaves come back on the trees and that the snow gives way to bright, green grass and beautiful flowers!
We have put together our five favorite ideas of how the older adult in your life can beat the winter blues.
5 Ways Older Adults Can Beat The Winter Blues
- Our team plans activities to keep our residents, and your aging loved ones involved helps with socialization. We have road trips (weather permitting), in-house activities and space that is ideal for socializing and relaxing with friends. The snow may be blowing outdoors, but we are warm indoors!
- Get active, whether that means taking a walk around your apartment, or around the building’s interior. Taking a walk indoors is a great way to get the blood pumping and that can help lift a blue mood.
- Brighten your apartment by turning on the lights and opening the curtains. Let in whatever weak light the sun might bring because natural light is best to lift a mood. Bring in some greenery like a succulent because they’re easy to care for, imitation plants or even other potted plants to brighten your apartment.
- Learn a new craft, take up a hobby or read a good book. Since you can’t go outside, now is the ideal time to learn a new craft or start a new hobby. If there has been a book you’ve wanted to read or a movie you’ve wanted to watch, now is the best time to do that and stay indoors under a warm blanket.
- Get involved. When it’s dreary and cold it’s tempting to stay inside your apartment and not be around your friends. We urge you to get involved, visit with one of your Baldwin House Senior Living friends or our caring team. Call your family and say hello. Staying in touch with friends and family makes the long winter days seem not quite so long.
If your aging loved one seems blue, see what you can to do visit, or call or send them flowers or a card or even a book or a craft they can work on and that will give them something to look forward to.
Baldwin House Senior Living, brought to you by the same people who founded American House Senior Living Communities in 1979, is built upon the strong foundation of guiding families and empowering seniors. Baldwin House combines care with compassion and dignity. We offer families peace of mind and give seniors who call Baldwin House home the freedom to live their very best lives.
Call us today to schedule a visit. We’d love to meet you or your loved one!